PHPG Operations Manager - Nicaragua
POSITION OVERVIEW: People Helping People Global (PHPG) is seeking a long-term volunteer (minimum of a year commitment) to help with its projects in Central America. , manage staff/volunteers, and work for a grassroots, micro-lending organization in Nicaragua.
GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION: PHPG currently operates in areas surrounding the town of Granada and in the department of Matagalpa. We expect the PHPG Operations Manager to reside in Granada and travel on occasion to the Matagalpa region.
QUALIFICATIONS: We’re looking for organized, motivated individuals with previous travel experience or an interest in experiencing the developing world. Fluent Spanish speakers are preferred; however, intermediate Spanish-speakers are also welcome to apply. A background in Finance, Economics, or Latin American Studies is also preferred; however, anyone is welcome to apply. Applicants with prior management experience are preferred.
DUTIES (Including, but not limited to):
· Interview prospective loan recipients to determine whether they qualify for our programs.
· Conduct periodic reviews of our loan recipients' progress and identify potential challenges for our clients.
· Attend community meetings with our Nicaraguan staff and assist in the collection of loan repayments.
· Write blog entries about your experiences (creative media, such as videos, are greatly encouraged!)
· Organize Microfinance Plus programs, where experts will come in to teach certain skills and conduct classes.
· Report progress to the PHPG home office in the U.S.
· Spread the word about PHPG and be an advocate for the organization both in Nicaragua and in the U.S.
· Conduct independent projects.
· Manage employees, interns, and volunteers.
COMPENSATION: This is an unpaid staff position; however the Operations Manager will receive a small food/living stipend. Volunteers may fundraise through the organization to cover the expenses of travel, lodging, and food. PHPG will do its best to support the volunteers in any fundraising efforts.
COMPANY OVERVIEW: People Helping People Global is a U.S. registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. It provides interest-free microloans to individuals living on less than $2 USD per day. These loans are used solely for the purposes of starting or expanding small businesses. The organization currently operates in Nicaragua – in the regions of Granada and Matagalpa.
TO APPLY, PLEASE CONTACT: Isabel Tuck, Executive Director – firstname.lastname@example.org, (802) 373-1562.